In order to make it good and sturdy I double knit the bottom by casting on twice as many stitches as I wanted and K1, S1 on both sides. This takes forever but it makes a nice, dense, thick bottom. Then I picked up stitches all around the bottom and knit with 5 double-pointed needles until I could transfer it to a circular needle.
I use double strands of yarn and knit on size 3 needles so it would be quite dense. The Aran patterns were perfect for this.
I loved the nested hearts design which you can see better on the back. For the strap, I picked up stitches that were knit in a 3 over 3 cable pattern. The strap is just P2, K6 (cable), P2.
I finished around the opening and the flap in a 3 stitch I-cord. I-cord gives such a "finished" finish. I made a loop at the point of the flap for a button closure.
As you can see below, I lined it with some beautiful, bright lime/turquoise silk dupioni left over from another project. I made 2 pockets in the lining then hand-stitched it into the bag.
The Czech Glass button has been in my collection for years so it made an ideal closure.
Then, since I still had more yarn I made a Smoke Ring--a Smoke Ring is like a cowl only looser and lacier. It designed more for beauty than for warmth.
I still have a couple balls of the silk so I'll think of something to do with it but, in the mean time, I cannot wait to use my little bag.
Thanks for reading.