Recently on a writer's forum I participate in someone mentioned freshening up your book covers and I started thinking about that. I get a lot of compliments on my covers but many of them -- especially the older ones -- were designed with print media in mind instead of digital and how they would look in a thumbnail size on computer screens. So this week I decided to start "making over" some of my covers. Two of them required total overhauls. My two short stories about revenge Home-made Pie & Sausage / Killing Julie Morris had the world's most boring cover so I decided it was the first to be freshened up and this is the result:
Quite a change, isn't it? The best thing is within 24 hours of uploading the new cover I saw a nice uptick in sales!
The other cover that needed an overhaul was Arthur's Story: A Love Story. I liked the old cover but it was sort of dull. Also, as I am getting to be better known, I felt my name needed to be more prominent. I wanted to keep the World War I photo because that anchors the story in time but I wanted a softer, more inviting look and this is what I settled on:
I think it is much prettier and more "inviting."
With those two redesigned I thought it might be a good idea to freshen up some of my other covers. I didn't want to mess with the overall design, just give them a little refreshing to make them more attractive in small sizes. I started with my best-seller, The Crazy Old Lady in the Attic:
As you can see, it's a little brighter, my name is at the top (I have struggled with this - I find it hard to emphasize my name) and it's somewhat brighter. Then I moved on to my second best seller, Ghosts of a Beach Town in Winter (which has a sequel coming soon.)
I'm very pleased with this one!!! So now they are all uploaded to Amazon, B&N (the ones that they sell) and my web sites. I'm working on a few others and will post them next week but this is fun and a good thing to so while thinking about the works in progress.
Thanks for reading.