2011 Partner With an Artist - CALL TO ARTISTS
Deadline for proposals: January 31st
seARTS is pleased to announce the 2011 Partner With an Artist (PWA) request for proposals.
At the heart of seARTS mission is the promotion of innovative collaborations that benefit both artists and the local economy. The PWA program provides grants for artists to make a new work in partnership with a Cape Ann business to be presented publicly in Spring 2011 (see below.)
Partnership with a business: This is an opportunity for artists and businesses to explore a creative relationship. We are looking to fund innovative projects that explore arts/business collaborations and embrace the partnership as integral to the work of art to be created. A business might provide goods, services, or space for a project.
Creating opportunities for artists: In a time of recession it is even more meaningful that grants are available to artists to recognize that the arts play an important role in the economic life of our communities. In this way, PWA is inspired by the New Deal's Works Progress Administration (WPA) support of artists and encouragement of artwork that connects to the community at large.
Fine examples of WPA murals, under the stewardship of
the Gloucester Committee for the Arts, are located in
Gloucester City Hall; other WPA murals are on display
throughout Cape Ann.
Grants: Jurors will award $1,500 grants will to five artists for arts/ business partnership projects.
PWA Information Session: December 16, 6:30 - 8:00 pm at the Gloucester Maritime Heritage Center, 23 Harbor Loop, Gloucester.
Proposal deadline: January 31st
Award notifications: February 4th
Project presentations: week of May 9 - 14
HOW TO APPLY
If you are a current member of seARTS, there is no fee to apply for this program. To join or renew your membership please visit www.searts.org/join.htm. If you wish to apply, but not join seARTS, there is a $25 application fee. For information on Members Benefits, visit http://searts.org/benefits.htm
Submit a proposal that includes:
- Cover sheet with contact information: name, email, phone(s) and names of all partners included in project
- C.V. or resume
- One page project description, including a description of the partnership. Please identify the business partner or potential partners. seARTS can provide assistance
- Budget; include in-kind donations
- Work samples:
- Visual art: 10-20 images numbered and titled on CD-ROM readable on Macintosh. JPeg files at 300 dpi, approximately 4"x5"insize.
- Media, Performance or Sound art: 5 minutes on DVD or CD, with media list that is numbered and corresponds to work samples
6. Application fee for non-members; please send check for $25 made out to seARTS.
7. Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope if you would like your support
Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 978-281-1222.
Where to send your application: email@example.com or
seARTS/PWA, P.O. Box 1476, Gloucester, MA 01930.
Financial support for seARTS' Partner With An Artist program has been made possible by the Massachusetts Cultural Council John and Abigail Adams Art Program, the Boston Foundation Bruce J. Anderson Fund and the Bayness Andrews Fund; and also with past financial support in capacity building from the Essex County Community Foundation Discretionary Fund.